Risks of using email:
While the opportunity to communicate by email enhances your care, transmitting client information poses several risks. You should not agree to communicate by email without understanding and accepting these risks.
The risks include, but are not limited to:
• The privacy and security of email communication cannot be guaranteed.
• Employers and online services may have a legal right to inspect and keep emails that pass through their email system.
• Email is easier to falsify than handwritten or signed hard copies, and it may be impossible to verify the true identity of the sender, or to ensure that only the recipient can read the email once it has been sent.
• Emails can introduce viruses into a computer system and potentially damage or disrupt the computer.
• Email can be forwarded, intercepted, circulated, stored, or even changed without your knowledge or permission.
• Email senders can easily misaddress an email, resulting in it being sent to unintended recipients.
• Email is indelible. Even after the sender and recipient have deleted their copies of the email, back-up copies may exist on a computer or online.
• Use of email to discuss sensitive information can increase the risk of such information being disclosed to third parties.
Conditions of using email:
Because the security and confidentiality of email communication cannot be guaranteed, your consent is required to communicate with you in this manner. Your consent includes the following conditions:
• Although I endeavour to read and respond promptly to emails, I cannot guarantee that any particular email will be read and responded to within any particular period of time. Do not use email for medical emergencies or other time sensitive matters.
• Email communication is not an appropriate substitute for assessments. Email communication is also subject to misinterpretation by both sender and receiver. Please request clarification from me every time you’re uncertain of an email’s meaning. Alternate communication forms (such as a telephone call), may be required in some circumstances.
Conditions and risks for participating in online sessions:
Online/Virtual sessions include any appointment or conversation offered electronically, including online video, telephone, text, and email. Because I cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of virtual communication, I require your consent to communicate with you in this manner. Your consent includes the following conditions:
• While precautions are taken to protect your privacy, no internet-based communication is 100% guaranteed to be secure and confidential.
• Online appointments are similar to in-person appointments in that the details of the session is documented and maintained. These appointments will be billed at a similar or same rate as in-person appointments and are subject to the same cancellation policies.
• Online appointments are not the same as face-to-face meetings. Though they may be more convenient, there may be a breach of your privacy (e.g. a family member walks into the room you’re working in), sudden disconnection of the audio or video link which could delay evaluation and treatment, or inadequate support in the event of a crisis.
By registering for virtual sessions and checking the box that you agree to the above, you understand the following:
I acknowledge that I have read and fully understand the risks and benefits associated with electronic / virtual communication.
I agree that Regan Galicia will not be held responsible and I release Regan Galicia from all liabilities arising directly or indirectly from the use of such technology, including security breaches or loss of information due to technical failure.
I consent to treatment in a virtual, email, or telephone appointment with my practitioner, for myself, my child, or a minor in my legal custody.